My wife correctly reminded me recently that I have way too many Bibles. Truth be told, that reality has been on my mind for the past few months. One of the options to relieving this issue is to give some of these Bibles away, which I have been doing for friends and co-workers. Yet, even with the ones I have already given way, my Bible library is still in need of a bit of purging. So, instead of selling them on EBay, I am just going to start having some contests, periodically, on this blog in hopes of sending these Bibles to good homes at no cost to the receiver. Of course this allows me to make room for new editions, but let's keep that between us. ;) Of course, the question is how to do it? Well, in the past I have had contests which usually surrounded answering a couple of questions, with the first one to answer them all correct being the winner. Again, I will be following that same model for these upcoming giveaways. The obvious problem is that any form of trivia question is probably going to be easily answered with the use of Google. So, how to fix this? Use more subjective questions that relate to me! Some of them may have nothing to do with Catholic Bibles or biblical studies. Kind of weird yes, but perhaps the only way to open up this contest a bit more. Yes, there will be some questions that can and will be answered via looking it up on the web, but there will be some subjective ones which relate to my likes/dislikes as well as issue relating to this blog. So, lets give it a try!
1) All questions will be answered in the comment box. The first to get all correct will be the winner. If nobody is able to answer all the questions correctly, then I will pick the closest entry. I will probably use the tie-breaker question in that case. No anonymous entries will be accepted!
2) I will announce the winner after the deadline on the blog. At that point, the winner must contact me, via email, within a week to claim the prize.
3) One entry per person. (If you happen to run a blog or website and would like to announce this contest on it, that would be great. It is not, however, a requirement.)
4) I will pay the shipping cost. It will not be, however, express mail!
5) Have fun with it!
Contest 1 Prizes:
1) Knox Holy Bible- Hardbound, (1956*) Sheed & Ward edition which is in OK shape. The binding is in really great shape, but the original slip cover is a bit torn and there is a slight stain on the outside edges. These minor deficiencies do not cause any problems with reading or obscure the text in any way.
2) St. Joseph Edition Pocket Guide to the Bible - Mint condition little pamphlet book from Catholic Book Publishing (1989).
3) Kenneth J. Howell's Ignatius of Antioch: A New Translation and Theological Commentary- Book is in mint condition (2008).
Deadline and Questions:
All entries must be in by 11:59PM EST on Tuesday, July 20th.
1) In which of the letters of Ignatius of Antioch do we learn about a bishop named Onesimus?
2) Where did my wife and I go for our honeymoon?
3) What was the first single from U2's album Achtung Baby?
4) According to the producers of Gojira, or more commonly known in the USA Godzilla: King of the Monsters, what two American movies were the most influential during the production of Gojira?
Bonus Question: What is my favorite Godzilla movie, excluding the 1954 original?
* 1956 is the year that Godzilla King of the Monsters was released in the USA.